10.16.2015

Life Extension Rhodiola

I have always been a big fan of the adaptogen Rhodiola rosea as an herbal supplement. I haven't found a good source of it since I left the vitamin company, the only US distributor of the MediHerb Rhodiola/Ginseng product, which worked gangbusters, but is only sold to health practitioners, not retail.

My girlfriend subscribes to Life Extension nutritional supplements and recently hooked me up with a small bottle of their Rhodiola (without Ginseng) product to try.

Wow. It's phenomenal. I took one this morning with breakfast and my mind has been laser focused all morning and I have tons of energy (but no jitters). Placebo effect? It cannot be ruled out. I am just a case study (N=1), so there is no scientific credence to its effectiveness. But placebo effect or not, I am full of mental energy. Even the Chinese food lunch I had with my work team has not resulted in the usual afternoon food coma.

It's no wonder the bottle has a black label warning that the LE Rhodiola should not be taken by manics or manic depressives.

Rhodiola is not a stimulant in the traditional sense. It is an adaptogen, something that gives you extra focus and resistance to stress. In the old days, it might have been called a "constitutional." Life Extension's marketing says it boosts metabolic ATP production in cellular mitochondria.

Could be...nutritional supplements are notoriously unregulated and while I don't know how well Life Extension does under analytical testing, it's probable some Rhodiola supplements are spiked with additives that act as stimulants. I need to look into that.

Anyway, I am pleased with the Life Extension Rhodiola supplement thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment